Thursday, September 2, 2010

School!

The schools here in Latvia are really different than in California. One day can consist of a small amount of lessons and therefore ending earlier, or can have many lessons and end at 16:00. (4:00). Yeah...that was the way it was for me on the second day...:/ But the first day of school was only ONE hour long! :) It was basically a free day to meet your classmates and main teacher. The director asked me to give an introductory "speech", but was just and intro. That went well. I am in grade 11, track E. Basically, the science line. I have a great bunch of classes which are: Latvian Literature (don't have to go! :D), Math, Biology, Chemistry, Russian Foreign language, English (muahahaha!), Psychology, and a Latvian Language class. There may be others but I think that's it. It looks like a lot, but I don't have all the classes everyday like in Poway. In California, the students are given a class schedule which is the same throughout the year, and subject to change in between semesters. Here, at least to my understanding, I have a list of classes, and my schedule changes everyday. So you see how it can be confusing. The grading scale is on a scale of 1-10 as opposed to the A-F scale in America. A mark of 10 is achieved when the teacher feels that the student has surpassed the teacher. Like me in my English class. XD That's going to be my easiest class. Yeah, that's the main difference between Latvian and American schools, and the fact that you dress formally and bring the teacher flowers on the first day.

No comments:

Post a Comment